Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beach Bums, Nostalgic Summer, and an Announcement

Hello! It feels like ages ago since I last posted here. Apologies to my readers--the months have passed so quickly, and yet so slowly at the same time. I've tried to post so many times, but was at a complete loss for words! I miss Saint Mike's so much. It was nice being able to come home and spend time with family, but I am definitely ready to return. In some ways, I feel like summer break is just too long--enough time passes that it feels almost as if I'm not going back. I'm so happy that's not the truth though!

So, my summer went pretty well, though in all honesty I feel like I haven't done much! I've been working full-time for a local food establishment, reading, and of course hanging out with friends and family. I went with my family to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware in July. It's a beautiful place and we had so much fun! I spent a whole week lazing around on the beach and soaking up the sun. We were there during my sister's birthday, so we had a great time celebrating at the seashore.

My sister, Christa, and I on her 22nd birthday.

I was thrilled to catch up with some old friends from high school, and what was really awesome was that some of my SMC friends also came to visit! Since my friend Sheila (who also goes to Saint Mike's) lives in my hometown, our friends Liz and Shawn came to see both of us. Shawn visited from his hometown in Connecticut and spent the day at some of our favorite places to hang out in Poughkeepsie, like the Walkway over the Hudson. Liz took Megabus to New York City, where we met up and spent the day seeing the sights. It was a little rainy, but we still had a great time!

Liz, Sheila and me in Times Square.

Of all of the fun memories I had this summer, I have to say that the best (and bittersweet) were the ones spent at my grandma's house. Although she passed away last May, my mom and her siblings have spent a lot of time at her house this year, going through old stuff and making repairs before it's time to sell. I spent a lot of time growing up in that house, as did all of my cousins and of course my mother and her siblings when they were children. This summer, I went there often with my mom to help sort through the rooms. We did a lot of work, but of course we also took the time to go through photographs and old letters (there was an entire box that my grandmother saved from my grandfather when he was fighting in WWII). I spent time in each room, out on the front porch and in the park across the street, where I used to go play with my cousins. Going back to the house filled my summer with nostalgia and memories of when we were all together. It's a time that I really miss, but I'm so glad that I got to revisit it once more.

Gram and I playing with bubbles at her kitchen sink, ~1995
I'm both sad and happy to see this summer come to an end, but like I said, I absolutely can't wait to get back to Vermont. I know Gram would be so proud.

Dear readers, I also have an announcement to make. Many of you may already know of Her Campus, an awesome website for college girls. You may also know that Saint Mike's is coming to Her Campus! I am so happy to say that I will be helping out as a Her Campus team member. If you're interested in becoming a part of Her Campus SMC, as it says in the link, contact our correspondents Lauren Mazzoleni or Alex Brenock. Look out for our launch on September 11th...it's going to be phenomenal!

See you at Saint Mike's!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment